Lunch for 550? Why not?!?
Back around March of this year, conversations started circulating between our Lead Team and some friends who had PCSed from our area to Hill AFB outside of Salt Lake City in Utah. What were these conversations about you might ask? They wanted to know how they could serve the Defenders and other Warriors who were working the show.
Back in 2016, as our mission was just getting off the ground, we had the opportunity to get involved with the Defenders of Liberty Air Show at Barksdale AFB. Since then, each Air Show at Barksdale has provided us the privilege of providing lunch over two days for over 550 Warriors each day.
One of our volunteers, Matt Mills, is the Warrior who PCSed to Hill, and with that, he embodied what is our hope for Warriors who have been impacted by our work. He led the charge with his local church community and with other local members of the business community, realizing that this effort was not something unique to one installation, and seeing the need that others didn't even know existed.
Over the weekend of June 25 and 26, over 550 Warriors were served a combined 1100 box lunches, complete with water, Gatorade, shade tents, and more.
Why is this important?
- Because these service members work their post from sunup until the last car leaves the gates, at least, whether parking, security, medical, crowd control, etc.
- Because these service members are spread out all over the base and they can't leave where they are working, creating a logistical nightmare that stretches an already stretched leadership team leading the show.
- Because one man saw a need and was not afraid to try to meet it.
- Because his influence made sure that these Warriors knew they were seen.
- Because this unified business, faith, military, and non-profit communities across the country.
EveryWarrior is proud to have been a small part of this effort. And we are thankful for Matt, Sojourn Church, Hill AFB First Sergeants and Chaplains, and Hill AFB Leadership.